2017 Eclipse Travel Tips
The moon will cross in front of the sun on Monday, August 21, 2017. Please follow these tips to drive safely on the day of the solar eclipse:
- Don’t stop along the interstate or park on the shoulder during the event.
- Exit the highway to safe location to view and/or photograph the eclipse.
- Don’t take photographs while driving!
- Don’t try to wear opaque eclipse glasses while operating a vehicle.
- Turn your headlights on — do not rely on your automatic headlights when the eclipse blocks out the sun.
- Watch out for pedestrians along smaller roads. People may be randomly parking and walking alongside the roadside in the hours around the eclipse to get the best view.
- Prepare for extra congestion especially on the interstates in the path on the day before, day of and day after the eclipse.
- Avoid travel during the eclipse or in the area of the main path if you can.
Click on the link below to read the entire Department of Transportation article on the 2017 Solar Eclipse.